You can be a CASA volunteer!
More than 200 foster children in Josephine County are waiting for their CASA. You do not need to be a lawyer or social worker to be a CASA volunteer. We welcome people from all walks of life!
CASA volunteers give a two-year commitment to investigate, examine and recommend to the Juvenile Court the best option for a safe and permanent home for the children assigned to them. Volunteer time averages about 15 hours a month.
CASA volunteers complete intensive background screening, 30 hours of pre-service training, and a minimum of 11 hours of ongoing training annually.
Scheduled Informational Sessions
Informational sessions are offered at the CASA Office: 304 NW “D” Street, Grants Pass, Oregon. To schedule a time, please call 541-474-5437. The next training session will begin September 23, 2019.
“It is rewarding to think that I am looking out only for the interests of the child. It is not a job. I am a volunteer, so I am there for all the right reasons. I can speak my mind freely in court, and the judges and parties listen.”
– Carrie Compton, CASA Volunteer
To volunteer, you must:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Be willing to complete necessary background checks, provide references and participate in an interview
- Be able to work with a staff supervisor
- Complete a minimum of 30 hours of pre-service training
- Be available for court appearances, with advance notice
- Have reliable transportation
- Possess basic computer skills
- Be willing to commit to the CASA program until your case is closed (on average, two years)